FAQs for Clubs 

A comprehensive list of frequently asked questions are listed below.  

If you have a query not covered by the list below please contactHowden by email or call 0121 698 8142.

What activities are clubs covered for?

In addition to recognised NISA activities, clubs are covered for all activities typically associated with the running of a club, including administration and social events.

^ Back to top

What is Combined Liability insurance?

Combined Liability Insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability, but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

  • Public & Products Liability - accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared NISA activities or goods sold or supplied.
  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability - Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement
  • Legal Defence Costs - defence of criminal proceedings brought or in appeal against a conviction arising from such proceedings relating to an offence alleged to have been committed in the course of the business in respect of a breach of Health and Safety at Work Act or Part II of the Consumer Protection Act.

^ Back to top

If I am a club committee member - What protection do I get?

As a committee member you have a personal liability in respect of the management of your club, particularly if the club is unincorporated. Combined Liability insurance provides Directors’ and Officers’ cover in order to protect you if you are sued for negligent decisions up to £1m limit of indemnity.

Examples include:

  • Mismanagement of the club finances
  • Breach of fire safety regulations
  • Corporate manslaughter

Cover is provided specifically to protect club officials and committee members.

^ Back to top

Do we have cover if employees are injured?

No, this is a separate insurance required in the event that an employee is injured and claims compensation against the club.   In general, you may need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following apply:

  • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply most materials and equipment
  • You have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses
  • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them
  • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work
  • They are treated in the same way as other employees, for example if they do thesame work under the same conditions as someone you employ.

Under British Law, you can still be called an “employee” even if you are not paid. Our advice would always to take out Employers' Liability insurance. If you require a quotation please contact Howden by email or call 0121 698 8142.

^ Back to top

How is Employer’s Liability different to Public Liability?

Employers' Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable, e.g when the employee sues the employer. Employers' Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.

Public Liability protects a club/member/volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.

^ Back to top

Is our club covered if we go abroad?

Liability cover is provided for trips abroad that are authorised/recognised by NISA.

Please note this is not a Travel Insurance policy, cover for which can be obtained from www.sporttravelinsurance.co.uk

^ Back to top

Does the policy provide cover for medical expenses abroad?

All full or associate members of NISA are covered whilst participating in NISA authorised and recognised activities worldwide. However, it is recommended that you take out personal travel insurance for all members of your party travelling abroad. To obtain a quotation for travel insurance that will include cover whilst you are competing, please visit www.sporttravelinsurance.co.uk

^ Back to top

Does the policy cover non UK residents?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for their liabilities in terms of recognised activities in both the UK and overseas, provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised/authorised by NISA.

Any member permanently living abroad is not covered.

^ Back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse / alleged to be the abuser
  • Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor, marine
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers)
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Medical negligence

Please refer to the policy wording for a full list of the exclusions.

^ Back to top

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit on the liability cover. However, personal accident and travel insurance has an age limit of over 3 years and under 80 years.

^ Back to top

Does my cover include any Legal Expenses?

Yes but only for legal expenses for defence of combined actions.

^ Back to top

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no excesses.

^ Back to top

What do I do if our club becomes aware of an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as outlined in the Notification Requirements

If there are verbal or written allegations made against your club, you should complete the Incident Notification Form to notify Howden Ltd of the incident.

We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity. 

Please note that this is a Liability Policy where the courts decide if negligence attaches to you. Therefore any payments you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed. 

^ Back to top