NISA Combined Liability FAQs

What is Combined Liability insurance?

Combined Liability Insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass arising out of declared NISA activities

Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

  • Professional Indemnity
    Covers injury / financial loss following advice (e.g. during coaching/Instruction)
  • Defamation
    Provides cover following something you might have said or written down (including, but not limited to, social media, website forums & emails)
  • Products Liability
    Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of any goods sold or supplied
  • Member-to-Member Liability
    Included to protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them

^ Back to top

Why do I need Professional Indemnity cover?

Professional Indemnity provides cover following negligent advice. If you are a coach, this cover will protect you in the event that an injury or financial loss results from your negligent act or omission whilst coaching at your own affiliated club.

^ Back to top

Why do I need Defamation cover?

There have been cases of members of sports clubs having disputes. Posts on web sites and content in emails could be potentially libellous, for example, and this section of cover will protect you if it is alleged that you have defamed someone else.

^ Back to top

Who/What is the covered by the Combined Liability Insurance?

The Combined Liability is designed specifically to meet the needs of the NISA and its following constituents:

  • Association, its employees, committee members and volunteers
  • Affiliated Clubs
  • Affiliated Coaches & Officials
  • Affiliated Members

^ Back to top

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no excesses.

^ Back to top

What do I do if I, or my club / association, are involved in an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as defined in the Incident Recording Guidelines.

If there are verbal or written allegations against you, you should advise Howden immediately and pass on any documentation, unanswered, you may have received to avoid prejudicing your claim.

^ Back to top

Do not admit liability; do not make an offer or promise to pay.

Additionally you are also required to comply with the Ministry of Justice procedures. These require disclosure of insurance details within 24 hours of contact by Third Party solicitors following an injury where you may be liable. Failure to comply with the revised procedures will result in a sharp increase in costs.

^ Back to top

Would I be covered for all incidents?


  • The incident(s) occurred during a recognised and licensed authorised activity of the NISA.
  • You reported the incident immediately.
  • There is negligence on your part. 

^ Back to top

If I am injured, can I claim from the Liability policy?

No, if you are injured you should seek legal advice on how to pursue a claim against the person(s) responsible for causing the injury.

You may however be able to claim from the Personal Accident policy should your injury be listed as one of the pre prescribed injuries, see the below question regarding Personal Accident cover.

^ Back to top

Does the policy cover anyone who is not defined as UK resident?

Insurance cover is only available to those who have a permanent UK address

^ Back to top

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit.

^ Back to top

Do I need Employers Liability for volunteers at the club?

UK law does not restrict the definition of employees to only those who receive payment or reward for their services.

Volunteers can be classed as employees, for example, you may ask a volunteer to change a light bulb and use a ladder to do so.  If the volunteer fell from the ladder, suffering injury in the process, it is likely that the volunteer would be treated as an employee in the eyes of the law.

In this example, should the club be found responsible for the volunteers’ accident by way of negligence but had not taken out an Employers’ Liability the club would be vulnerable not only to an uninsured claim for damages but possibly a fine for not having an Employers Liability policy.

As such we recommend an Employers’ Liability Insurance policy if your club / county is reliant on voluntary labour, whether paid or not. 

Failure or refusal to display or make available the certificate can also result in a fine of up to £2,500. Since 01 October 2008 you have been allowed to display your certificate electronically, provided your employees know how and where to find the certificate and have reasonable access to it.

This cover is available via the Howden.

^ Back to top

What happens if a club has two insurance policies in place with different insurers?

This is not recommended as the cover under the policies is unlikely to be the same - having 2 policies does not mean that you will be covered by both i.e. double the benefits. In the event of a loss the most appropriate policy will respond - if both policies apply the costs would be shared between the insurers.

^ Back to top